The Bulk Email Finder functionality lets you find multiple email addresses from a list of names and companies or domains.
In this article, you will learn how to:
- Input your list of names and companies
- Download your results
- Import your results as leads
- Best pracices to ensure the highest accuracy
Upload a list of names and companies
To start a new Bulk Email Finder:
- Go to the Bulks page.
- Click on Email Finder.
- Select + New bulk and name your bulk.
Upload your file
You will need a CSV or TXT file that contains the first and last names of your professional contacts. These names can be in two separate columns, or in one single column. Please make sure to remove the middle names.
The file will also need to contain the company where these contacts currently work. The company can be either the domain of the company, the website or the company name.
If your list is in an Excel or other type of spreadsheet file, you can export the results as a CSV so that it can be imported in Hunter. Your file should have commas or semicolons as delimiters.
In the Upload section of the Bulk Email Finder, you can drag and drop your file, or click on Select a file to pick your file from your computer.
You can check the option Include sources in the results. The URLs of the sources will be included in additional columns. Only the active sources where the email address can still be found are returned.
By default, the option Skip rows already containing an email address is selected. If some of your rows already have emails, they will be skipped over and Hunter won't try to find an email address for it. If you would like to disable this option, simply unselect the checkbox.
Finish the configuration
After you click on Upload, you will need to match the columns in your file with the fields in the drop-down menus. If your file has a header row, make sure the checkbox The first row is for headers is checked.
To validate the file, you will need to make sure that you have matched the first name and last name (or full name), and the company or domain.
Click on Validate to start the processing. This step can take a few minutes up to a couple hours, depending on the number of lines you have in your file.
Download and understand your results
The emails found will automatically be validated by Hunter. Once your file is processed, you will be able to see how many emails were found, and an overview of your results according to the validity of the emails:
In the Download in CSV section, you will have the option to download all the email addresses found, or only those that have been verified as valid.
How to read your Email Finder file
The downloaded .csv file will contain all your original columns, and 3 additional result columns. Let’s have a look at them together:
- Email: this is the email address found by Hunter.
- Score: an indicator for the deliverability of the email (in %).
- Verification status: this status indicates the validity of the email. It can one of following statuses: valid - you can use the email safely; accept all - the email server has an accept all policy which prevents us from knowing if an inbox has been set up for that email address, so the email should be used with caution; invalid - the email address should not be used; or unknown - Hunter could not determine the validity of the email, so it should be used with caution.
Import Bulk Email Finder results as Leads
Emails resulted from the Bulk Email Finder can also be imported as Leads in a few steps.
After processing a Bulk Email Finder click the Import button in the Import as leads section.
Choose the destination list of Leads or create a new list, and click on Import.
Hunter will process the import and add the leads resulted from the Bulk Email Finder in the selected list of leads.
Best practices to ensure the highest accuracy
The Bulk Email Finder functionality relies on the data provided in the CSV file, so to ensure the best data quality, there are some guidelines to follow:
- Check that all required fields are completed and do not mix domains with company names. Simply choose a method and apply it to the whole document.
- If you use full names, ensure that middle names are removed and that you only keep the first and last names.
- Make sure your file does not contain empty cells for the required fields.
- When using company names, make sure to remove additional characters such as LLC, brackets, or slashes that are not allowing Hunter to extract the correct company name. A good company name is "Company" and not "Company Ltd".
- Use domains when possible instead of company names as this will guarantee the best performances in Hunter.
To sum things up
The Bulk Email Finder functionality helps you find the email address of a specific professional. To do this it only requires the first and last name and the website or domain of the person you are looking for.
A few tips for a better Bulk Email Finder experience
- It's recommended to use the domain name instead of the company name.
- You can find up to 50,000 email addresses per file. Additional rows will be skipped.
- Make sure to avoid using special characters as they may be deleted in the file.
- Your file should be at most 10 Mb to avoid timeouts.